What is travertine, and how is it used? Whether you want suitable flooring or elegant countertops, travertine natural stone is an excellent choice. It is an affordable option that adds a luxurious appeal to your home décor and often complements most styles. So, why should you use travertine? Read on to learn more.
What Is Travertine?
Travertine is a natural stone used for centuries in architecture and design. The natural stone travertine has been used in famous structures, including The Getty in Los Angeles and The Coliseum in Rome. Typically, travertine forms in hot springs by calcium carbonate precipitation.
Travertine is available in various colours and can be used indoors and outdoors. It is environmentally friendly and highly durable, although natural stone restoration services may be required from time to time to really bring out its best. Despite this, it is still a worthwhile investment.
Benefits Of Using Travertine At Home
There are multiple benefits of using travertine at home, including:
- Multiple finishes and colour options: This natural stone is available in a wide range of softer colours and finishes.
- Adaptable: Travertine is adaptable, and you can use it anywhere in your home, from decking around the swimming pool to using it as a bathtub surround.
- Beautiful: Travertine is a gorgeous natural stone, and installing it in your home can visually enhance the appearance of your home.
Places Where You Can Install Travertine
Travertine can be used in many home construction elements such as pool coping, flooring and countertops. Here are places you can install travertine:
- Flooring: The material for floors comes as travertine tiles. These natural stone tiles are an excellent way to make a statement in your home.
- Countertops: Travertine is a beautiful countertop choice due to its long streaks and consistent colour. It would be best not to use it on high-traffic countertops like the kitchen as it is a highly soft stone.
- Fireplace surrounds: Travertine makes for an excellent fireplace surround as it will draw attention to your fireplace and is pleasing to the eye.
- Backsplashes: A travertine backsplash will complement your travertine countertop. This natural stone on your walls looks impressive and highlights its natural beauty.
- Walkways: Travertine is an incredible stone choice for walkways, particularly honed travertine.
- Pool decks: Natural stone is an excellent choice for pool decks as it is slip resistant.
- Patios: Typically, travertine is used in outdoor areas and looks good on patios.
- Shower walls: Travertine looks beautiful when incorporated into your home shower wall.
- Driveways: Travertine pavers are lovely when used on your driveway surface. Using them can help you make an impression.
Different Types Of Travertine
There are different types of travertine available. The natural stone varies in colour depending on where it was quarried and the minerals present in the specific area. The different types of travertine include:
1). Yellow travertine: This features an incredible gold base with veining and specks all over the slab. This particular stone can work well anywhere in your home as it has a soft and elegant look.
2). Travertine Giallo: This natural stone is a beautiful golden brown featuring layered textures and veining. It adds natural beauty to your space, and you can install it anywhere you deem fit.
3). Silyon travertine: This natural stone is beige or brown with beautiful textures and white veining. You can install travertine anywhere in your house.
4). Silver travertine: This stone looks incredible anywhere in your home and is an excellent choice if you want something similar to marble but with a different pattern.
5). Crema Viejo travertine: This natural stone gives off a relaxed feel and is a softer brown with varying texture and dark and light brown veins.
How To Care For Your Travertine Tiles
It is essential to care for your travertine to ensure its durability. It would also help to seal your travertine. While travertine tiles and pavers do not necessarily require sealing, doing so protects them from damage that may occur from stains. Below are ways to care for your travertine tiles:
- Seal your travertine to enhance durability.
- Use cleaners that are suitable for travertine when cleaning the stone.
- Avoid spills, especially ones with acidic substances.
Travertine is a beautiful natural stone suitable for use in the interior and exterior of your home. It is an excellent choice that will significantly enhance the visual appeal of your home. Taking good care of your travertine will ensure it looks beautiful for an extended period.
Hire The Best Stone Cleaning Company: The Stone Restorer
The Stone Restorer is the best stone cleaning company offering a full range of natural stone restoration services and ongoing maintenance. Whether you would like travertine installed in your home’s interior or exterior, we can help. We are experts and guarantee you 100% satisfaction.
Give us a call today at 0414 469 301 or ask us for a fast free quote on your tile cleaning or restoration project.